Plastic vs Glass Bottles
Which type of bottles should I use?
Choosing either plastic or glass bottles for your new juice business is an important decision that might have more factors than you have considered. I will explore some of the pros and cons of each:
Plastic Juice Bottles
- Cheap – Landed cost usually less than $0.60 per bottle for 16 oz / 500 ml (when purchased in quantity).
- Light – Cheaper shipping, easier to move and store.
- Durable – Less broken bottles.
- Ordering plastic bottles is easy using our Bottle Up! app.
- Less premium look and feel.
- Pollution – Worse for the environment.
- Toxicity – Most plastic bottles are BPA free, however some of the hard plastic reusable bottles (think baby bottles) contain BPA, which may be harmful to humans [FDA].
Glass Juice Bottles
- Premium look and feel. Important for image and marketing for premium juice brands.
- Reusable – Better for the environment.
- Return program – Some juice companies offer a $1 credit if a customer brings back an empty bottle. This brings customers back to the store where they are likely to buy something.
- Non Toxic – Glass does not contain potentially harmful chemicals.
- Expensive – Depending on quantity purchased, glass beverage bottles can easily be over $2.00/ea for the standard 16 oz / 500 ml size. When ordering large quantities (thousands) can usually get the landed cost including shipping down to about $1.00 – $1.50 in the US.
- Labor Costs – If running a return program, de-labeling, washing, and sanitizing bottles can add a lot of labor costs, and extra space and equipment is needed for the bottle washing.
- Breakage – Glass bottles can break during shipping and storage, causing some waste.
Once you decide on plastic or glass, you will need to find a supplier. You can stock up on BPA free plastic bottles easily on our “Bottle Up!” app here. If you live outside of the US, you should look for a local supplier since shipping bottles overseas can end up being very costly.