Sourcing Organic Produce (using CSA’s)
As a small business, it’s important to introduce a high quality product and keep food costs down. Sourcing all that organic produce for cold pressed juice can be challenging, so here’s a tip to help you out:
Community Supported Agriculture (or CSA’s) are a fantastic way to help your local farms/community, and supply your business with local produce.
Here are some advantages from both ends, courtesy of LocalHarvest.org:
Advantages for Farmers:
- Get to spend time marketing the food early in the year, before their 16 hour days in the field begin
- Receive payment early in the season, which helps with the farm’s cash flow
- Have an opportunity to get to know the people who eat the food they grow
Advantages for Consumers:
- Eat ultra-fresh food, with all the flavor and vitamin benefits
- Get exposed to new vegetables and new ways of using them
- Usually get to visit the farm at least once a season
- Find that kids typically favor food from “their” farm – even veggies they’ve never been known to eat
- Develop a relationship with the farmer who grows their food and learn more about how food is grown
While a CSA program might not be your only resource for produce, it is a great way to build community awareness and support of your newly established business. By working together, you provide financial support, and strengthen your community, all the while sharing in the goodness of healthful food!
Please visit www.localharvest.org to see what CSA programs are offered in your area.