Guest post by Eric Toussant, President of GlobalCert Food Safety, LLC
For HACCP consulting services, contact Ari Sexner, juice business consultant.
Download the example HACCP plan: New Juice Co HACCP Plan.zip
Download the example SSOP program: New Juice Co. Sanitation Standard Operating Procedures
HACCP Program Description:
HACCP – Hazardous Analysis Critical Control Points. HACCP is a scientific, systematic approach to food safety. We combine scientific data and a management system to conduct a risk assessment of our ingredients and processes.
Senior management must ensure the following five Preliminary Tasks have been completed prior to completing the 7 principles to HACCP:
- Assemble the HACCP team
- Description of the product and it’s method of distribution
- Identification of the the consumer and it’s intended use
- Construction of the process flow diagram
- Verification of the flow diagrams
Once the above have been achieved, the team can move forward to completing the 7 Principles of HACCP.
- Conduct a Hazard Analysis
- Determine Critical Control Points
- Determine Critical Limits
- Develop Monitoring Procedures
- Develop Corrective Action Procedures
- Establish Verification Procedures
- Establish Record Keeping and Documentation Procedures
SSOP – Sanitation Standard Operating Procedures. There are 8 requirements under the FDA for Juice companies.
- Safety of water
- Cleanliness of food contact surfaces
- Prevention of cross contamination
- Maintenance of hand washing and toilet facilities
- Protection of food from contamination
- Proper labeling and storage
- Control of employee health conditions
- Exclusion of pests from facility
Along with these 8 requirements the company must also explain how they monitor each of the requirements as well as which records they will keep as supporting documentation.