Looking for a gluten-free bread that tastes great? Read on.
In this article, we'll explore the best gluten-free bread brands that are available in supermarkets and online. The list includes varieties like sourdough, white, multigrain, whole-grain loaves, buns, rolls, bagels, muffins, and more.
Instead of saving the best for last, let's just lead off with the best gluten-free bread brand we could find.
1. Bread SRSLY
Bread SRSLY's delicious and nourishing gluten-free Sourdough Bread is made from minimal ingredients in a dedicated facility.
The company's promise is to exclude the top 9 allergens in all their recipes. These are: gluten (or wheat), egg, dairy, peanuts, tree nuts, soy, potatoes, sesame, refined sugar, and chickpeas.
Bread SRSLY developed a slow-ferment gluten-free sourdough recipe that forms the basis of all their gluten-free bread products.
Bread SRSLY Products
- Basic Wild Fermented Sourdough Ingredients: Water, organic white rice flour, organic millet flour, organic sorghum flour, arrowroot, Xanthan gum, salt Bread SRSLY Gluten-Free Bread products are baked fresh to order, and their range includes:
- Classic Sourdough Loaf: Made from the Bread SRSLY Wild Fermented Sourdough. It has a crispy crust and fluffy texture, and yields 10 to 14 slices.
- Sourdough Pullman: A ginormous version of the Classic Sourdough Loaf for making epic, full size gluten-free sandwiches.
- Seeded Sourdough Loaf: By adding organic poppy and sunflower seeds to the Wild Fermented Sourdough, this loaf packs extra protein to fuel your day.
- Cinnamon Raisin Sourdough Loaf: A pure delight. Infused with sweet and spicy organic cinnamon, lightly sweetened with organic California Medjool date syrup, and dotted with juicy organic raisins. This recipe includes added organic psyllium husk, but excludes the rice flour and Xanthan gum from the basic gluten-free sourdough recipe.
- Sourdough Sandwich Rolls: With an airy, crumpet-like texture and distinctly tangy flavor, these gum-free, rice-free, and lectin-free sourdough Sandwich Rolls, with added organic psyllium husk, make a great burger bun or a delectable stacked sandwich.
- Sourdough Dinner Rolls: Made from Bread SRSLY's basic Wild Fermented Sourdough, these 2" dinner rolls are the perfect accompaniment to tomato soup or pasta dishes. They can be frozen, but have about a 9-day shelf life in the fridge.
How to Buy Bread SRSLY
Want to get your hands (and tastebuds) on some Bread SRSLY at wholesale prices? Shop for Bread SRSLY in the Goodnature Marketplace!
Juice Bar Marketplace
Shop for high quality brands at low wholesale prices, including gluten-free bread from Bread SRSLY!
2. Canyon Bakehouse
Canyon Bakehouse's products are: Gluten-free, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Nut-Free, and 100% Wholegrain
About Canyon Bakehouse®
For over a decade, they've worked to bring their mission to life by expanding their product offerings, sourcing the best possible ingredients, and updating their facility and practices to the highest safety standards. They have built up a strong team to continue pushing them forward.
The Canyon Bakehouse® Mission
“WE MAKE PRODUCTS THAT ARE SAFE FOR THOSE WITH CELIAC DISEASE, GLUTEN INTOLERANCE, AND OTHER FOOD ALLERGIES, SO EVERYONE HAS A CHANCE TO LOVE BREAD AGAIN®”
The Canyon Bakehouse® Gluten-Free Bread Range
- Mountain White: This soft white bread, is perfect for melty grilled cheeses or gooey PB&J’s.
- 7-Grain: Baked with 7 delicious whole grains, including quinoa, teff, amaranth and sorghum for a delightful flavor.
- Hawaiian Sweet Bread: Saying ‘Aloha’ to delicious French toast, BBQ sandwiches or straight from the bag.
- Canyon Bakehouse® Heritage Style Breads are HUGE! Make your sandwiches bigger and bolder with this large-slice bread. Available in Honey Style Sweet and Whole Grain Loaves.
The Canyon Bakehouse® Breakfast Breads
- Bagels: A choice of Plain, Deli White. And then there's the Everything Bagels, made with a savory blend of garlic, onion, poppy and sunflower seeds topping.
- Whole Grain English Muffins: Soft, fluffy and ready for you to crisp to perfection.
The Canyon Bakehouse® Buns and Rolls
- Hawaiian Sweet Rolls, Brioche-Style Sweet Rolls, Sub Rolls, and Burger Buns.
3. Schär Gluten-Free
Schär is a family-run company that was established in 1922 in South Tyrol, the heart of the Alps. Since that time, they have believed that no matter how much things change, food will always have the power to bring us together. Today, Schär's products are available in more than 100 countries.
Schär's Quality Commitment:
“At Schär, we strive to offer superior tasting food based on strong innovation because that’s what lets us achieve our goal: to delight our consumers at all moments of the day and all stages of their lives, and to help them make nutritionally balanced choices.”
Schär Gluten-Free Bread Products
Sliced Loaves: (Some of these may contain sesame)
- Artisan Baker 10 Grains & Seeds: Made with sourdough and includes nutritious chia, pumpkin, flax and sunflower seeds for an amazing taste and perfect texture.
- Artisan Baker Multigrain Bread: Including flax seeds and sunflower seeds has an irresistible texture as a result.
- Artisan Baker White Bread: Soft and irresistible bread, crafted with sourdough, millet, and quinoa.
- Deli Style Bread: The true artisanal techniques and superior ingredients lead to a uniquely superb New York style texture and taste. Also available in a seeded version with added flax, sunflower and chia seeds.
Whole Loaf Bread
- Rustic Loaf: Round, sourdough loaf made with ancient grains.
- Baguette: Super soft and chewy baguettes, amazing in taste and texture and perfect for sandwiches.
- Ciabatta Rolls: Par baked Ciabatta, Also available in Multigrain.
- Bagels: Plain Bagels, Cinnamon Raisin Bagels, and Savory Everything Bagels.
- Also available: Hamburger Buns, Hot Dog Rolls, Sandwich Rolls
Other Schär Gluten-Free Bread Products
- Pizza Crust, Crisp bread, and Sweet Bread.
4. Katz Gluten-Free
Katz Gluten Free is a business that resulted from the desperation of a mother who, back in 2006, wanted her two gluten-intolerant children to also enjoy truly tasty treats like donuts, cookies, cakes, and pies like their friends did.
Growing from a one-woman kitchen bakery to a full, state-of-the-art facility—completely nut & dairy-free and certified by the Gluten Intolerance Group, OU and Rabbi Y. Gruber. —Mrs. Katz now creates allergy-friendly baked goods to fulfill all sorts of dietary restrictions
She continues to stay true to her original recipes, only using high-quality ingredients and never including any artificial preservatives or off-putting chemical additives. That’s why Mrs. Katz's baked goods are kept frozen, ready to thaw to room temperature or be warmed to fresh-baked flavor with just 10–15 seconds in the microwave.
The Lesson: Don’t let food allergies stop you from enjoying your favorite treats.
Katz Gluten-Free Bread Products
- Whole Grain Bread: Made with fiber, sorghum flour, whole grains, and brown rice—a great source of protein. It is also Dairy-Free, Corn-Free, and Soy-Free.
- Everything Bread: With added sesame seeds, onion, and garlic for those seeking more spice and texture.
- Oat Bread: Made with certified gluten-free oats.
- White Bread: Gluten and dairy-free.
- Challah Bread: Gluten and dairy-free.
- Texas Toast: An authentic, bold delight made with real garlic, brown sugar, and parsley. Gluten, Dairy, and Soy Free.
- English Muffins: Gluten, Dairy, Egg/Free/Vegan. Available in Plain and Cinnamon Raisin.
Katz Rolls and Buns
- Burger Buns: Gluten and dairy Free
- Dinner Rolls: Gluten, dairy and Nut-free
- Oat Rolls: Made with certified gluten-free oats. Gluten, dairy, Corn, and Soy-Free.
Katz also offers an extensive range of gluten-free cakes and other baked treats.
5. Udi's Gluten-Free
Udi’s Gluten-Free Foods takes old-school artisan baking principles, adds skill and passion, and the result is a delicious secret combination of ingredients that just happens to be 100% gluten-free. And they don’t stop there! They realize the varying degrees of food allergies, and that’s why they create all natural and delicious varieties of baked goods that are also dairy-free, soy-free, and nut-free.
Udi's Gluten-Free Bread Products
- Soft White Sandwich Bread: The classic taste and texture of white bread.
- Delicious Whole Grain Sandwich Bread: A soft texture and incredible taste for making gluten-free sandwiches.
- Hearty Sprouted Artisan Bread: Made with millet and sorghum.
- Hearty 7 Seeds & Grains Artisan Bread: A soft and sumptuous texture including quinoa, pumpkin seeds, and sunflower seeds.
- Cinnamon Raisin Bread: A slice of cinnamon goodness, warmed or enjoyed straight from the bag.
- Omega Flax & Fiber Bread: Packs a wholesome blend of omega-3, -6, and -9, plus protein, antioxidants, and fiber, into each slice.
- Millet-Chia Bread: These ancient grains have been providing nutritious happiness to global cultures for centuries.
Udi's Gluten-Free Buns & Rolls
- Whole Grain Hamburger Buns, Classic Hamburger Buns, Classic Hot Dog Rolls, Classic French Dinner Rolls, and French Baguettes.
6. Julian Bakery
Julian Bakery, a California-based gluten-free bread producer, believes that healthy eating should be easy, convenient, and, above all, enjoyable for everyone! Julian Bakery invites you to indulge in the freedom of gluten-free living with their remarkable bread products.
Here are some of their gluten-free creations:
- PaleoThin® Coconut Bread: A delicious low-calorie bread that contains Organic Coconut Flour, Egg Whites, Psyllium Seed Powder, and other ingredients.
- KetoThin® Keto Bread: A grain-free, low-carb bread that complements the keto lifestyle without compromising on taste. Ingredients include Blanched Almond Flour, Organic Cage Free Whole Eggs, Organic Butter (Grass-Fed), Organic Cream Cheese.
- PaleoThin® Almond Bread: An awesome combination of high protein and low calories per slice. Ingredients include Almond Flour, Organic Coconut Flour, Egg Whites, and Psyllium Seed Powder.
Julian Bakery Wraps
- Organic PaleoThin® Coconut Wrap: These organic wraps are made only from Organic Coconut Meat, Organic Coconut Water, and Organic Virgin Coconut Oil.
7. Little Northern Bakehouse
Little Northern Bakehouse is based in British Columbia, Canada, but their gluten-free breads are available in both Canada and the USA.
The “real thing” can mean different things to different people. For them, it means being authentic. It means baking with passion. It means certified gluten-free, non-GMO ingredients for the best baked goods.
Whether going gluten-free is something you have to do, or something you’d like to do, Little Northern Bakehouse produces bread and other baked goods with delicious gluten-free goodness that is also allergy-friendly, non-gmo, and egg/dairy-free.
Little Northern Bakehouse Products
Wide Slice Loaves
- Sweet Hawaiian: Soft, delicately sweet.
- Whole Grain: Made with a blend of whole and ancient grains.
- White: Every full-sandwich-size slice has a smooth texture and amazing taste.
- Seeds & Grains: Made with a range of crunchy seeds and grains.
- Cinnamon & Raisin: Naturally sweet raisins meet a delightfully soft texture in a perfect match of deliciousness.
- Millet & Chia: This bread has a smooth texture and delicate crunch that also packs in flavor.
- 7-Grain: With sprouted brown rice flour, sprouted sunflower seeds, sprouted red and white quinoa, sprouted amaranth, gluten-free sprouted quick oats, and sprouted millet.
- Honey Oat: With a touch of natural honey sweetness
- This range includes Plain Bagels, Blueberry Bagels, Cinnamon Raisin Bagels, and Everything Bagels.
Little Northern Bakehouse also offers a range of delicious gluten-free buns, including Classic Dinner Rolls, Millet & Chia Burger Buns and Hot Dog Buns.
And last but not least, Gluten-Free Artisan Pizza Crusts – available in Thin and Original.
Bottom Line: Bread SRSLY is the Best Gluten-Free Bread Brand
After testing the contenders, the best gluten-free bread brand is decidedly Bread SRSLY.
Juice Bar Marketplace
Shop for high quality brands at low wholesale prices, including gluten-free bread!
Wondering How Bread Can Be Gluten-Free?
Gluten occurs naturally in most wheat products, and there is no way to remove it. It acts as the “glue” to hold wheat, semolina, rye, spelt, barley, bulgur, farro, kamut, and durum together.
Producing gluten-free products like bread is a complicated process that typically requires a lot of experimenting with alternatives to replace wheat.
Potential replacements include:
- Corn flour
- White or brown Rice flour (white or brown)
- Potato flour
- Tapioca flour/starch
- Sorghum flour
- Coconut flour
- Almond flour
- Chickpea flour
- Certified gluten-free oats
However, the gluten-function that provides elasticity and texture must be replaced, and that is where a lot of experimentation is necessary. Gluten-free bread producers typically add guar gum or xanthan gum to their recipes to get the perfect texture.
Those with celiac disease or other medical conditions that require a gluten-free diet should always study the labels on bread to ensure only certified gluten-free ingredients are used.
There's no reason why you have to give up your favorite bread if you have celiac disease or a milder gluten sensitivity. As we have shown here, there is a wide variety of gluten-free breads available on supermarket shelves and online.